Discovery Church Statement On The Resignation Of Lead Pastor David Loveless
By The Elder Board of Discovery Church, Crossmap On May 7, 2013
NOTE: The Elder Board of Discovery Church, Orlando, today issued the following statement about the resignation of lead pastor, David Loveless. The statement was shared with church staff on Wednesday, May 1, and with the church congregations on Saturday and Sunday, May 4 and 5.
It is with great sadness that we announce the immediate resignation of our lead pastor, David Loveless, following his acknowledgement of his participation in a wrongful relationship over multiple years with a woman not his wife. While David indicates that the relationship was ended approximately three years ago, we were only made aware of it when he informed us in recent days. David offered his resignation and the elders prayerfully and unanimously accepted it.
David has relinquished his pastoral responsibilities at Discovery Church and will be succeeded, on an interim basis, by Director of Ministry, Don Cousins.
These are difficult circumstances for any church, regardless of size, and serve as a poignant reminder of the frailty of man and the need to live in honest community and accountability with other believers. While we believe David Loveless can be restored to Christian fellowship and productive Christian service, we do not believe he can serve as a pastor at Discovery Church.
As our church now deals with the emotions of a prominent moral failure, we, the elders, ask the following from our church family:
1. Pray faithfully for David and Caron Loveless-and their children and their families.
2. Pray for your elders as we seek to administer biblical accountability with the appropriate balance of grace, mercy and truth in this situation.
3. Pray for our church family as it moves through this challenging time.
4. Be slow to judge-and slower to jump to conclusions.
5. Avoid participating in gossip or speculation about this situation. If you have questions, please direct them to our response team comprised of several elders, staff members and lay persons.
This will be a test for Discovery Church on many fronts and we ask you to join with us in handling the challenges of the days and weeks to come in a way that would honor the God we worship and serve week after week. Thank you for your prayers.
Like Us on Facebook