Major TV Networks Demand Removal of FCC ‘Indecency Standards’

By John Dere, Crossmap On June 25, 2013

Last week, ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC each filed individual requests to the FCC asking for the removal of government-regulated ‘indecency standards.’

According to FCC.gov, “it is a violation of federal law to air obscene programming at any time. It is also a violation of federal law to air indecent programming or profane language during certain hours.”

Like Us on Facebook Subscribe to eNewsletter

“Congress has given the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) the responsibility for administratively enforcing these laws,” the FCC’s website continues. “The FCC may revoke a station license, impose a monetary forfeiture or issue a warning if a station airs obscene, indecent or profane material.”

In response to the current laws, the major TV networks expressed their desires to overturn the restrictions of the FCC’s ‘indecency standards.’

“The FCC should affirm that it has no right to deny broadcasters the same First Amendment protections enjoyed by every other medium of communication,” the FOX network said.

“Broadcast TV is not a uniquely pervasive presence in the lives of 21st century Americans,” NBC added.

Joe Ortwerth is the executive director of the Missouri Family Policy Council, a non-profit organization “dedicated to promoting Biblical principles in our government and Judeo-Christian values in our culture that support and encourage strong healthy families.”

Ortwerth’s organization, which also seeks to “promote and preserve a culture in Missouri in which the traditional family is nurtured and defended through efforts of good faith, good will, good conscience, and Godly integrity,” is not happy about the recent requests from top TV networks.

“Call your elected official,” Ortwerth said. “I don’t think many citizens want to see what’s on television become even more violent, vulgar than it is.”

At this point, it is unclear just how the FCC will respond to the major TV networks' requests.