The Reformation Square was Officially opened in the Latvian Capital
By Christian Telegraph, Christian Telegraph On February 14, 2017
On Friday, February 10, in a solemn ceremony the President of Latvia Raimonds Vējonis and German President Joachim Gauck officially introduced the nameplate of the new Reformation square in the center of Riga, the Latvian capital, Christian Telegraph reports according to the Christian Megaportal invictory.com.
Now the Reformation square is right next to St. Peter's Church.
Like Us on Facebook
The new name of the square in the Old Town was obtained after the request of the Latvian Evangelical Lutheran Church and the German Embassy in Latvia.
"The area is named after the Reformation movement, which Martin Luther began in 1517 in Wittenberg, Germany. In 1522 Riga became one of the first cities in the world that have adopted the Reformation, appointing Andreas Knöpken as the priest of the Church of St. Peter," stated the explanatory label.
The opening of the new square was dedicated to the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. During the negotiation in front of the "Riga Commission of names and titles in the urban environment," it was indicated that the Reformation is a very large and important historical event and have a direct impact on the population of Latvia in terms of the formation of mentality, customs, attitudes and cultural environment.
Riga became one of the most important strongholds from the beginning of the Reformation movement. In 1522 (when Luther was excommunicated of the Church by the Pope and was persecuted in Germany) the minds of the Riga's settlers massively embraced the new ideas. A considerable role in this process belonged to Andreas Knöpken, who wrote his own 24 thesis of the Christian faith and following Luther's example nailed the list to the St. Peter's church door.
According to the president of the Academy of Sciences of Latvia Ojārs Sparitis, it was fair and legitimate to name the square in front of the St. Peter's church the Reformation square, because this is the place where the movement began its way across Livonia, here the country's first Lutheran sermon was heard, here on the market square across the craft shops was passed the news of the beginning of the new trends in spiritual life, which resulted in a change in policy, taxation, models of human relationships and other aspects of society.