21 Famous Quotes of Martin Luther King, Jr.
By James Lam
Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Lots of diifferent celeration events are held across the country in remembering such a giant in the history of America.
Martin Luther King, Jr. was an American pastor, activist, humanitarian, and leader in the African-American Civil Rights Movement. He is best known for his role in the advancement of civil rights using nonviolent civil disobedience based on his Christian beliefs.
As a Christian minister, Martin Luther King's main influence was Jesus Christ and the Christian gospels, which he would almost always quote in his religious meetings, speeches at church, and in public discourses.
According to Wiki,
King's faith was strongly based in Jesus' commandment of loving your neighbor as yourself, loving God above all, and loving your enemies, praying for them and blessing them. His non-violent thought was also based in the injuction to turn the other cheek in the Sermon on the Mount, and Jesus' teaching of putting the sword back into its place (Matthew 26:52).
Below are 21 famous quotes of Martin Luther King, Jr:
1. "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. "I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
5. "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
6. "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
7. "We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
8. "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
9. "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
10. "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
11. "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. "The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." --Martin Luther King, Jr.
13. "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
14. "An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." --Martin Luther King, Jr.
15. "Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
16. "Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
17. "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
18. "I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
19. "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
20. "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
21. "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.