Travel News 2014: 10 of the World’s Best and Worst Airports
Good news for air travelers passing through Manila: the city's international airport isn't quite as bad as it used to be.
That's the only slightly uplifting word from The Guide to Sleeping in Airports, a travel website that produces an annual survey to identify the world's worst and best aviation terminals.
After being crowned worst three years in a row, Manila's Ninoy Aquino International Airport has this year lost its place at the bottom of the heap to Pakistan's Islamabad Benazir Bhutto International.
It's now climbed to the heady position of fourth worst.
Despite the website's name, airports weren't just rated according to how easy it is to catch some shuteye.
Readers were asked to judge facilities in four categories: comfort, conveniences, cleanliness and customer service.
Airport officials didn't reply to requests for a comment, but survey respondents were less than complimentary.
"This airport is [like] a central prison," said one who complained of touts and aggressive taxi drivers.
The survey ranked Saudi Arabia's busiest airport, Jeddah's King Abdulaziz International as second worst, followed by Nepal's Kathmandu Tribhuvan International.
Manila's climb to fourth follows what many respondents said was a "slight improvement" created by the recent opening of its Terminal 3.
Worst Airports of 2014
1. Benazir Bhutto International Airport, Islamabad, Pakistan
2. King Abdulaziz International Airport, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3. Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu, Nepal
4. Manila Ninoy Aquino International Airport, Philippines
5. Tashkent International Airport, Uzbekistan
6. Paris Beauvais-Tille Airport, France
7. Frankfurt Hahn Airport, Germany
8. Bergamo Orio al Serio Airport, Italy
9. Tegel Airport, Berlin, Germany
10. LaGuardia Airport, New York City
Best Airports of 2014
1. Changi Airport, Singapore
2. Incheon International Airport, South Korea
3. Helsinki Airport, Finland
4. Munich Airport, Germany
5. Vancouver International Airport, Canada
6. Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia
7. Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong
8. Tokyo Haneda International Airport, Japan
9. Schiphol Amsterdam Airport, Netherlands
10. Zurich Airport, Switzerland